March 2, 2020

Lincoln Academy Statement on COVID 19 Preparedness

Lincoln Academy is closely monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. This is a rapidly developing situation, and LA’s response will evolve as public health information becomes available. School decisions will continue to be made in coordination with recommendations from the U.S. and State of Maine Centers for Disease Control (CDC), as well as Lincoln Health and the AOS 93 Superintendent’s Office. Updates will be posted on the LA website as well as Facebook.

As media have reported extensively, cases of the coronavirus are now on every continent in the world, except Antarctica, and it continues to spread. There are still few confirmed cases on the East Coast and the CDC indicates that currently public risk remains low. As a result, all classes, sports, and extracurricular activities at LA will continue as normal.

We ask that all LA families let the Health Center ( or 207-563-3516 ext. 134) know about any flu-like illnesses in your household to help us contain and understand the situation in the school community. We also encourage everyone, including students, parents, and staff, to use common-sense precautions: wash your hands frequently and thoroughly, especially before and after eating, using the bathroom, or coming in contact with commonly used surfaces (desks, door handles, etc). Avoid shaking hands. Most importantly, students should stay home if they are sick, especially if they have a fever of 100.5 or higher with a cough. The school will make every effort to accommodate students who stay home when they are ill so they do not fall behind in classes.

Lincoln Academy is taking proactive steps to prevent and prepare for the possibility of a COVID 19 outbreak in our community. To this end, we restricted residential student travel during February vacation, and are strongly recommending that residential students not travel internationally over the upcoming April vacation. We have also canceled the International Club trip to France that was scheduled in April. We made this decision out of an abundance of caution and the concern that families could suffer a financial impact if we waited any longer, only to have advisories change after it was too late to get a refund on travel expenses.

While LA’s day student families must make their own travel decisions, the spread of COVID 19 within the United States is on the rise, and both domestic and international travel may increase the risk of infection. As a result, we ask that if you do choose to travel this spring that you remain proactive in preventing the spread of illness, and keep us informed should you experience any flu-like symptoms.

To prepare for the contingency of a significant local outbreak that would require us to close school, our Director of Curriculum and Instruction Kelley Duffy is working with Technology Coordinator Stephanie Cheney to make plans for continuing classes remotely if necessary. While this is unlikely at this point, we want to be prepared for every possible scenario.

The school will continue to monitor COVID19 updates closely and respond accordingly. Please visit for updates, and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions, whether they are regarding the school’s policy and response or concerns specifically related to your family. We will post updates as the situation develops.

Thank you.

Jeff Burroughs, Head of School

Eric Duffy, RN, Director of Health Services

Jenny Mayher, Communications Director

Andy Russ, MD
Medical Director, LA Health Center