United Healthcare has sent the following updates and links related to Covid-19 and your student’s insurance coverage. Please review with your family and be in touch with any questions.
- Covered under the plan and treated as “any other sickness” – no separate limits, co-pays, etc.
- Symptomatic – Yes. Needs to be ordered by a physician (or appropriately licensed health care professional) and administered by a qualified provider. Will follow United Healthcare guidelines.
- With the extensive list of potential symptoms (fever, cough, fatigue, etc.) this could result in a significant number of symptomatic tests.
- A student that gets tested given “contact tracing” (they have been in contact with someone who has tested positive) would also be covered.
- UnitedHealthcare will cover medically necessary testing for the purpose of diagnosis or treatment of an individual member. In such cases, the tests must be ordered by a physician or appropriately licensed health care professional and also be FDA sanctioned, authorized or state approved.
- Asymptomatic/”Screening” – Basically, No.
- Testing for purposes of Return to Work or School (including for purposes of participation in sports) is generally considered surveillance testing and would not be covered. Our coverage policy aligns with recently released guidance from the Department of Health and Human Services distinguishing tests that are primarily intended for individualized diagnosis and treatment from other tests, such as those used to screen for general workplace health or broad public health surveillance.
- We are attaching a suggested parent communication that addresses COVID-19. Obviously this is merely intended as an initial template should it be helpful.
As you know, the situation is constantly evolving. Below please find links provided by United Healthcare Student Resources (guidelines, FAQ’s, etc.) These links are updated on a frequent basis in order to address changing dynamics and questions as they arise. While you can expect us to continue to update you, keeping these links handy should prove helpful as you develop your plans.
https://www.uhcsr.com/news-main – “Welcome page”
https://www.uhcprovider.com/en/resource-library/news/Novel-Coronavirus-COVID-19.html – detailed information (for providers) concerning testing, treatment, coding and reimbursement.