Planning for an Uncertain Fall
Like many schools in Maine and around the world, we do not yet know what instruction at Lincoln Academy will look like in the fall, and we will not be able to provide specifics about school until the week of August 3 at the earliest.
Even with many unknowns, there are certain things families can do right now to prepare for the 2020-21 school year.
1. Plan for your students’ technology needs
Families of new students and incoming ninth graders should plan to provide a laptop or tablet for their students that meets Lincoln Academy’s Bring Your Own Device standards.
- Most students at LA use Chromebooks since they are affordable and have the necessary functionality to use Google Docs, Canvas, and other cloud-based academic platforms.
- Mac or PC laptops and certain tablets are also acceptable.
- A cell phone is not an acceptable academic device.
- Please click here for a Chromebook buying guide: https://www.lincolnacademy.org/technology-for-parents/
If you have unreliable internet at your home, a limited number of cellular hotspots are available to borrow from Lincoln Academy. More information about borrowing one during the school year will be available in August.
2. Get a physical exam
Athletes at LA are usually required to have a physical exam every two years. This requirement has been extended to three years for returning athletes by the Maine Principals’ Association to accommodate students who may have trouble getting a physical this year due to COVID-19, but first-year athletes must get a physical this year to participate. Even if your student is not a fall athlete, summer is a great time to get vaccinations up to date and fill out the LA Sports physical form.
3. Fill out free and reduced lunch forms.
These forms are now available for the 2020-21 school year. A printable copy is available at this link. Please fill out a paper copy and return to Carole Brinkler in the main office. Remember that even if your student qualified last year, this form must be filled out every year.
4. Look for the following communications from LA later this summer:
Mid-July: incoming 9th graders will receive a packet in the mail with info about PowerSchool, connecting with advisors, supply lists, and more.
Once you get your login info, make sure you can access your parent PowerSchool account, as this is the system we use to register all students.
Early August: online school registration will open for ALL students through PSRegistration.
- You will be notified by text and email when the PSRegistration portal opens.
- Families will fill out permission forms, athletic forms, health information, and more through this online portal.
- Please note that Lincoln Academy registration is only online. Technical assistance will be available by phone or in person if families have trouble using the portal.
- Student schedules will also be available on this date by logging into PowerSchool.
- A decision about fall sports will be made by August 3.
Mid- August: look for information about back-to-school orientation.
- Whether orientation is in person or online will depend on health and safety recommendations from the Maine Department of Education.
Thursday, August 13, 6 pm (tentative date). Zoom meeting with the Lincoln Academy Parent Association (LAPA) to discuss back-to-school plans. A zoom invitation will be emailed to parents later this summer.
- Back-to-school orientation begins with Technology Bootcamp for all students (online or in-person to be announced).
- Preseason sports will begin if deemed safe by the MPA and Lincoln Academy
Early September: classes begin
Please note that as soon as we have information about back-to-school decisions from the Department of Education or fall sports decisions from the Maine Principals’ Association, we will let you know by text or email.
Links and Contacts:
Contact the following LA staff: